Friday, June 27, 2008

"We're getting there" - or - I really don't know love at all, but I know I could drink a case of you--*

There are a couple of things I keep reminding myself: that everyone has something that I won't like, and that each new relationship or friendship requires to succeed the trust that events and feelings that remind us of older, bad experiences in the past are not necessarily a harbinger of doom this time.


A certain point exists for us where the way we look at love is no longer the same. For some of us, a horrible experience triggers us to look at the other side. For others, it is a beautiful life of light and openness. For still others, a chance meeting and whirlwind weekend romance with no future reminds us of what we deserve to receive.

Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows.
Paolo Coelho


There will always be something about every person that I don't like.
Simple?

Is it always the same quality(s) or trait(s) that become(s) an issue? Or are certain things acceptable in some and intolerable in other relationships? When does one situation or issue become a 'dealbreaker' and when does a person or relationship become a throwaway? What is it that makes One person special enough to work through and wait for understanding?

I laugh at myself when I realize that I handle my relationships with humans is diametrically opposite to my relationships with horses. If a mare throws me to the ground, I won't hesitate to keep working with her and work through the issues to create growth, strength as a team, and understanding...it would never occur to me to never again handle a bay Thoroughbred mare under any circumstances.

I used to be a person who always welcomed love and never saw the shadows. It's only recently that something clicked and I've seen different sides of love, different hues of light, and myself. Because I'm more comfortable with me, I find myself calm where always in the past I would be a hellcat, wasting energy and missing the point.

With a different point of view in mind, the only way we can really know anything is when there are no dealbreakers, but only 'things that are part of you'.




Both Sides Now - Joni Mitchell (2000)


Other days I just laugh all day, because that's what crazy people do.

3 comments:

Robin Easton said...

This is such a poignant post. I really enjoyed your reflections on love and the many faces of love. Particularly your honesty about it. As I get older I am discovering that the most important love in my life is being in love with LIFE. With myself and each day and the things I "love" doing. Simply in love with LIFE, each moment and hour and day. I don't seem to have the myopic expectations of love/life that did once. In fact, looking back I now realize they limited me. I tend to just love life and it seems that more love comes to me than ever before. I don't really know how to explain this, but I hope to write a post about it soon. I'll let you know if I do, okay. I would "love" :) to share it with you. Beautiful and touching writing in your post. Hugs, Robin

Bone said...

With a different point of view in mind, the only way we can really know anything is when there are no dealbreakers, but only 'things that are part of you'.

This was lovely

Anonymous said...

Jen,
I am excited to have found your blog!!! I can't wait to read through it tomorrow and see all the photos and just simply catch up with where you are in life. I hope all is well.

-Alan (Crowe)

sweetsandsweats.wordpress.com